“Training Needs Assessment – TNA” may be understood to be the first step in the training processes. Any training program or intervention, needs to be preceded by a Training Need Identification exercise. The Training Need Identification can be done in several ways depending on the type of audience and the type of programs being considered. The “need” may be understood to be the difference between – “as is” and “to be” or what is currently in place and what is needed, now and in the future. The gaps may be identified based on:
- Current and desired job performance.
- Existing and desired competencies and skills.
A Training Need Assessment can help with:
- Competencies and performance of work teams.
- Problem solving or productivity issues.
- Prepare for and respond to future changes in the organization
The results of the needs assessment exercise helps set the training objectives.